January 18, 2006

Grab the Challenge

First of all, a note to self: loosing yourself in the largest city of a Country by night is fun. You should try it again, but in a country that's not yourse.


This post is about the biggest piece of art I've came across for a long time: Mindless Self Indulgence's last CD, "You'll Rebel to Anything". I managed to get the "Explicit Studio CD" version, but now I want to get the limited edition of the Clean CD and the Explicit Double Vinyl Version... Even if I think that this is the best one of the three, you can only have the hole album if you get this three versions... Well, first of all, I have to say that Metropolis Records surprised me and I want to give them the best "congratulations". They did it - I don't know how, but not only they've managed to escape all the censorship by having the several versions of the album, but - and this quite surprised me - they've managed to (legally, I suppose) have the stupid "Parental Advisory" on a sticker, and that on the plastic around the CD! When you open it, goodbye advisory. I have no clue how is this CD legal... And I think that there are chances that it isn't, on USA. Anyway, if you know that that's something, when you open the CD you read this:

A WARNING for those of you lazy, self absorbed and/or just plain inattentive parents >>> all the censorship in the world won't make up for bad parenting. If your child is more influenced by our music than by Mommy & Daddy, both you and your offspring have much bigger problems than our lyrics. So, before you go hauling us or any other artist into court, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you did the best you could, because if you're considering taking us into court, you didn't.

But this is just only the start, this was my two first minutes with the CD in my hand. The whole CD is worth the money you'll pay for it, and I'm not considering yet the media itself!

But let's talk about the media. Mac fans, this CD was recorded using Mac OS X. It has a .mov with the main song, that gives the name to the CD: "You'll rebel to anything (as long as it's not challenging)". If you like the title, then wait to see the video-clip. No, I would tell any spoilers, you HAVE to see it. For those who're asking, yes, it has Bush. Lyrically, is Mindless Self Indulgence as always - lyrics are never too explicit for them. Grab this mic:


You think you're saying something relevant as you connect the dots
You never realized you have to get in line to suck a cock
You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are FUCKIN MORONS


But hey, I don't want to spoil any more this CD for you: you should get it. For those who already know and like Mindless Self Indulgence, let's just say that this is the album. Forget those early EP's - yes, they are good, but they turned into this. Of course that anyone who buys this CD will get the others also, but this is their album. This closes one MSI's era, and let's hope they'll tour more promoting it and that the next era will be at least as good as this one is. For those wondering about 1989, Tom Sawyer, Stupid MF, 2 Hookers and an Eightball, yes, you have these songs in older CD's, but this is the best and final version of each one...


The bass + the rock + the mic + the treble - I like my coffee black + just like my Metal


Oh, by the way, the CD has less than 40 minutes, so technically speaking it's not a CD but an EP, right? Well, I guess that Metropolis Records managed to circumvent that too! ;-)

So, grab the Challenge, buy the CD, support the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment