January 09, 2006

Dawning

I have to say that I've surprised myself when I really did it past saturday: I've actually sold (second hand) some DVD's and CD's I had but didn't like. Well, as a matter of fact they've only accepted two CD's and one DVD (guess what, the "mainstream" ones), but, anyway, I did it. I never felt well with the thoughts of doing it: after all it is my personal collection of CD's, and I knew in advance that they were going to be poorly valorised. Anyway, I did it, and had a certain feeling of relief by doing it, since the money I got from it was spend in the exact same store buying one CD. In that way, I thought that, at least, those guys where making tons of money buy taking art from people who doesn't value that art pieces and giving others a chance to appreciate that same art.

So, with the money I got from that trade and 0.80 € I've managed to buy Mindrot's "Dawning" CD. I was looking to their music (mostly hyper-commercial stuff like Britney Spears and stuff like that) and when I saw "Mindrot" I thought that I've already heard it and didn't like much, but I didn't well recall why... I picked it from the shell and when I saw it was from Relapse Records I got it: I like Relapse buy what they do and how they support their bands, and I have some CD's from them (the latest I've got was "Shape of Despair", bought last December), but the feeling I generally have about their works is that "I almost like this enough to buy it", but, then, it's just "almost"... When I started to listin to "Dawning", this Mindrot's album from 1995, I've got it: even without recalling when did I've heard this for the first time, I'm sure the impression was the same - this guys do an excelent Doom Metal, but I can't get to like the voices, neither Dan Kaufman's, nor Adrian Leroux's, nor even Matt Fisher's. That doesn't mean I regret to have bought this CD: as a matter of fact I'm still judging if I should buy more Mindrot's albuns, because this CD, at least, is very musical, and that part is just great... And the vocals sometimes variate between the bareble and good in some tracks, like Forlorn's main vocals. In that aspect this CD quite reminds me of Novembers Doom's "Amid It's Hallowed Mirth" (which is fairly better, but - then - it's the only CD from Novembers Doom that I like)...

So, if you like Doom Metal, I recommend that you give Mindrot's a try...

Now I know that Mindrot is over, and two of their former members formed a band named "Shiva", then renamed to "Eyes of Fire". I guess I'll have to check this band...

No comments:

Post a Comment